Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Honey Pizza Dough Recipe


I got in a bread-y kinda mood 2 days ago and decided to make some pizza.  Nothing can beat fresh pizza made from fresh handmade dough...yum!  I've had this recipe for 13 years when I first started cooking on my own.  It's the only recipe I use and it's super easy!  The crust comes out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Now, I make this dough in my Kitchenaid mixer but you can also use your hands to knead the dough.  There is really no difference...I'm just lazy ;)

So by popular demand, here it is:

Honey Pizza Dough Recipe
Makes 1 large pizza crust


3 1/2 cups       unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup            olive oil
1/2 tsp             salt
1 cup               warm water (100-120 F)
2 Tbsp             quick rise yeast (I use Fleischmann's)
2 Tbsp             honey


1.  Turn the oven on at about 250 F for about 2-5 minutes and then turn off.  The inside of the oven should be warm but not hot because you will be placing the dough in here to rise.  If it's too hot, the dough may begin to bake...which is not what you want!  If you feel that your oven is too hot, simply open the door for a moment to let the heat out.

2.  In a heat-safe mixing bowl, add flour, oil, and salt.  Set aside.  (The heat-safe bowl will be placed in the oven...which is why I suggest using such a bowl).

3.  In a separate bowl, add warm water, yeast and honey.  Stir until relatively mixed and let sit for about 10 minutes until it foams.

4.  Gently stir the liquid mixture and pour over the flour mixture.  If you have a Kitchenaid mixer, using a kneading hook, mix for about 2-5 minutes until the dough is formed and leaves the sides.  The dough should feel soft, smooth and elastic.  It should not be firm or too sticky...but if you follow the recipe exactly, it should be okay.  If you do not have a mixer, simply knead with your hands until the same consistency is achieved.

5.  Before removing the dough from the bowl, coat hands with a little bit of olive oil.  This will prevent it from sticking to your hands and fingers.  Then remove the dough from the mixing bowl.

6.  If you used a mixer, I like to knead the dough a few times with my hands and form into a ball.  NOTE:  I feel that the natural bacteria and oils in your hands helps the dough rise better...but then again, I may be wrong...lol.  Just a theory ;).

7.  Coat the inside of bowl with a little oil and place the dough back into the bowl. Rotate it a few times until the entire ball is also coated in the oil.

8.  Cover the heat-safe bowl with a lid.  I usually use a metal plate, Corningware plate or a metal lid from one of my pots.  Place the bowl into the warm oven and let dough rise for 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.

9.  Turn the oven on at 400 F.

10.  Remove the bowl from the oven and punch down the dough.  Knead a few times.  Then roll out using a rolling pin until it is slightly larger than the pizza pan.

11.  Place the dough into the pan.  Spread with pizza/pasta sauce, favourite toppings and shedded marble cheese onto the crust.  Place into the pan and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden and cheese is bubbling and slightly golden.

12.  Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes until cheese settles.

13.  Cut into even slices and serve while hot with some refreshing salad and perhaps wings!  Yum!

Enjoy!!


TIP:  For a larger family or company, double the recipe to make 2 large pizza crusts.  For a family of 5, I always double this recipe.

**Tomorrow, I'll share the recipe for the Cheese-Filled Buns and by the end of the weekend, I'll share the recipe for the Cinnamon Buns.  Stay Tuned!!





No comments:

Post a Comment